IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to the closing of our lobby due to the COVID-19 virus, we are allowing electric services to be started, disconnected, or transferred by phone. We still require the documentation stated below. These documents may be provided by taking pictures of them with your cell phone and emailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, address (where you are requesting service change), and phone number. In the email subject line, reference what you are requesting (ex. transfer service, start service, etc.). A customer service representative will call you as soon as possible to complete your request. For further information, contact us at 270-887-4200.
To start or transfer service:
Bring the following to the HES office:
- A current photo ID
- Proof you live at the address you are requesting service for (ex. deed, sales contract, lease or rental agreement)
- $25 connection fee (cash, check or credit card)
- $100 or $400 deposit (no deposit required if signing up for Pay-As-You-Go service)
A residential security deposit ($100 or $400) may be required when service is established with HES. Deposits are based on a credit risk factor. A security deposit is not required for previous HES customers (within past 24 months) with 12 months of good payment history (bill paid in full on or before due date). A letter of credit from a previous electric utility attesting to 12 months of good payment history may also be accepted in lieu of a deposit.
- Customers may waive the credit score and pay a $400 deposit.
- Customers transferring an existing service to a new address may require an additional deposit based on past payment history and the amount of the initial deposit.
- No deposit is required if you sign up for Pay-As-You-Go service.
To disconnect an existing service:
A person listed on the account must visit the HES office and bring a current photo ID.
- You must provide the date you want the service turned off.
- Your final meter reading will be taken when the service is disconnected.
- If you have a deposit, your final bill will be deducted from the deposit.
- If you have a surplus, a check will be mailed to you. If the deposit does not cover your final amount due, a bill for the remaining amount will be sent to the forwarding address you provide.
HES may establish and collect standard charges to cover the reasonable average cost, including administration, of connection, reconnection, or disconnection of service. These fees are listed in the table below.
Establish new service: $25
Transfer service: $25
Establish/Transfer service after hours: $75
- If meter is functioning properly: $0 1st test, $25 thereafter
- If meter is malfunctioning: $0
Returned check charge: $25
- Reconnect during business hours: $25 + past due amount
- Reconnect after business hours: $75 + past due amount
- Reconnect at pole- all hours: $75 + past due amount
Pay As You Go customers should contact HES at 270-887-4200 to determine the exact amount required to reconnect their service.
Meter tampering: $100 + meter cost + estimated usage
*Customers who are reconnected for non-payment may be subject to an updated deposit based on the current deposit policy.